Friday, January 29, 2010

{Bully}

This is just rambling but I wanted to document it for future reference! 

I've gone through a new experience this week that has tested my every emotion!

You mess with my kids and you will regret it!

I have had adults say something to my kids or yell at my kids before and after I got done with them they wished they didn't. Not saying my kids are angels but bring the problem to my attention and I will deal with my kids as I see fit.


McKay is a really well liked kid, always has been. BUT he is also very passive which is totally opposite of me! At least Garrett inherited 1 trait from me and that is not taking crap from anyone! Yes, I am proud of that trait.

Anyway....There is a kid in McKay's class that thinks he is pretty hot stuff. He is very social so all the kids are drawn to him....he is a leader. He's been over to our house to play with McKay a few times and they seemed to get along. Lately he has been using his leadership quality in a negative way. Making fun of kids including McKay, pushing McKay into the girls bathroom, taking McKay's hat and never giving it back...etc. The other kids just follow along because heaven for bid this kid think they are not cool! Oh did I also mention he is a bigger kid so he is confident he can use his weight to push people around.

McKay will come home and tell us what he is doing and we just say "stay away from him" "just ignore him" "don't lower yourself to his level" "be nice to everyone" etc... But the latest issue when he took McKay's hat and pushed him into the girls bathroom is sending me over the edge! My defenses come out and I want to go knock on that kid’s door and give him and his parents a piece of my mind! But, you can't do that. It would embarrass McKay and he would just get made fun of more because his mommy his defending him.

So what do you do? I'm still trying to figure that out. I've decided all we can do is give McKay confidence that he shouldn't take crap from anyone. Not saying he should be violent but hell open your mouth and tell people how you feel! Tell them it's not cool to take your hat and push you into the bathroom! Turn the attention around on the bully and make him feel like the idiot.

I did email the teacher and told her the situation and to keep it on the down low and keep her eyes open for anything going on. She was very grateful for us bringing that to her attention...she said the kids are very good at hiding things like that from her.

If McKay didn't get his hat back today I was going to contact the parents and tell them they owed us a new hat, but McKay got it back and all is well.....for now.

One thing that proves McKay is listening to us.  Another kid was throwing erasers at McKay today and he actually did stand up for himself! He noticed the kid was trying to flip his hair but it is too short. (Long hair is cool right now and McKay actually has the hair to pull it off) So McKay teased the kid for trying to flip his hair and all the kids in the class laughed. I'm not promoting him to make fun of other people but if they bring it on then LET LOOSE! Is that bad?? 

I'm very proud of my kids!  I feel like I have raised them well....they have good hearts.  But I know it's just going to get harder as they get into teenage years.  I'm not ready!!!

2 comments:

Stacey said...

You are doing awesome!! I am so dreading teenage years, because my heart breaks when Cole gets teased for being small. Jenna and McKaydee will probably beat the pee out of anyone that messes with them! You are raising them well, and remember my offer stands for "taking care" of that kid!! ;)

Preston and Keri said...

Oh, I am SO NOT ready! I think that what you are doing though is the right thing!
Hopefully the teacher will keep an eye on things and that way she can inform his parents!
I would so want to go smack that kid though! I hate kids that think they can act that way! Kayston has been known not to be the nicest kid but I try to stay on top of it and I definitely don't let him get away with it! He's getting better though! =) Good luck, and let me know how things turn out.
P.S if you want, I can go slap the kid and teach him a lesson, that way he won't think it's McKay's mom just some CRAZY lady! =)