Friday, November 2, 2007

{Honor my Mother Day October 25, 1943 - November 2, 2003}

Not a day goes by that I don't think of my mom.
Today
I will honor her life

Carolyn (Joan) Edwards Remund.


She passed away November 2, 2003 after a year long battle of Lung Cancer.

I am the baby of the family and my mom always had my back. All I had to do was scream and she would come running to my defence telling my brothers and sister to leave me alone (the scream was hardly ever legit)

Laying on her lap in church touching her hands and feeling her finger nails. She always made sure they were filed and painted.

I had a lot of time alone with her since I was the youngest. She would take me shopping and say "don't tell dad we bought this" (You know I had to have those $80.00 pair of Girbaud jeans, that was a lot of money for jeans back then) It made me feel so special!

She was such a simple woman. She never got rid of anything and would use it until it just could not be used one more second. Example: Her blow dryer and curlers. I think she bought those in 1960 and used them until the day she lost her hair to Chemo!
Or when she finally broke down and got an answering machine and caller ID, it was a changing day for her! HA HA

I'm sure I gave her a lot of grey hair as a teenager. When I was late coming home (which was every night) never fail she would be sitting in front of our big window on the couch waiting for me to walk through the door. If I was outside and she wanted me to come in she would flash the porch light.

She was a collector. Her home was full of nick nacks, dolls, and of course BEANIE BABIES!

At times when I thought she would be mad and disappointed in me the most, instead she would be sensitive and understanding and do anything and everything to help me.

Anything you needed she was just a phone call away. She would drop anything she was doing to talk or spend time with her kids. She would plan parties for every occasion whether it was birthdays, holidays, even a jazz or BYU game. When she cooked, it was always with love. She knew everyone's favorite food and would always make extra so she could send it home with you.
Her grandchildren made her so happy. She made a scrapbook of her grandkids and on the front it says "Grandchildren light up your life" every single one of them had a special place in her heart.

She would watch my kids every Wednesday while I worked, that was the highlight of their week (I like to think it was hers too). She fed them toast, jam, banana's and sometimes a little slice of ham for breakfast then for lunch they would ride in grandpas truck to see the Cougar (BYU Stadium), get happy meals and go see the trains at the train yard. After nap they would sometimes walk to the store for a treat or just help her around the house or water the flowers outside. They will always have cherished memories of her and for that I am so grateful.

I say to everyone, please treasure your mothers!!! You won't know how much you miss or need them until they are gone.

3 comments:

Kent said...

Great post! Its fun to read about the memories you had with Mom. She was an amazing woman, mother, wife, friend and a million other things to everyone she came in contact with.

Damn Cancer :(

Jenn said...

Awww... that's so sweet. How neat that you had such a fantastic mom! :0)

HayleeBird said...

That was really sweet. I can't even imagine how devestating it must have been to lose her. I remember her as the best young women's leader, going to girl's camp every summer - your mom, sharman hafen, and esther messick. They were so much fun.