Was there any place in your house that scared you? Any place where you felt especially cozy?
Our house growing up was a sweet little 3 bedroom 2 bathroom rambler. Not many places were scary except for the BASEMENT! I hated going down there! Now let me say this wasn't just your regular basement. It was cement walls, cement floor, basically made for storage, not to live in. First of all the stairs to it were outside. It had a rusty metal railing and gate. You had to push really hard and lift up on the gate or it would rub on the cement when you opened it. Going down the cold, dark, spiderweb stairs. In the basement was another room. Oh this was the worst room ever! The only way I can describe it would be like a mine shaft. It was full of rocks and dirt. It was a crawl space so you had to get down on your hands and knees. I really don't know what the point of that room was but I hated it and I never wanted to go in.
Inside was a different story. Our mom made the house so warm and inviting. The place I loved the most was in the family room. We had this long cabinet against the wall, oh let me tell you about the cabinet. This thing was the coolest. It had 2 doors that opened up, pull the handles and this long, wood accordion thing comes out. Then you have all these wood panels that you snap together and wahla! You have a table that seats 12. ANYWHO! Got off track there for a minute.
At the end of this cabinet on the floor was a heating vent. Prop a pillow against the cabinet, get a blanket and sit over the vent. I could lay there for hours and watch TV or sleep. I'm sure it drove my mom crazy that we would turn the heater up just a little more so it would run longer.
4 comments:
I loved that room too. I especially loved the table with all of the pictures of you kidsand your families growing up. You mom did make it very inviting and always made us feel like family there. We love and miss her too.
The first place that came to mind is THE HALL. We had tons of fun in the hall! There was a mirror at the end so we could act stupid and see ourselves. I learned to blow bubbles and whistle sitting in front of that mirror. We set up bowling, marble games and best of all we knew it was officially summer when we could stand and smell the swamp cooler air. I love that smell. Of course I loved the smoldering hot family room. It was cozy. When I had bad days during my divorce I would just go lay on the couch and escape. The scariest place was under the house. I hate that smell and there were spider webs everywhere. Dad decided to dig out a space and made us work down there, it was cruel and unusually punishment! i miss the house and the smell of my mom!! :(
We did have some good times in the hall! That cracks me up about you sitting in front of the mirror blowing bubbles and whistling. You are a good whistler! LOL The swap cooler was the best! The family room was smoldering hot when mom would get the fire going LOL. I forgot about that. I'm glad I'm not the only one that hated the basement!
I have to agree when I think of a scary place in the house that I grew up in my basement was the scariest thing ever. Same with the cement and cool storage part, I don't know what was up with me and my friends always trying to make our clubhouse down there and always failed because we "got scared". Isnt it funny the way we look at things when we are young? Thanks for helping me bring back my childhood nighmares!!! LOL
Post a Comment